Monday, January 02, 2006

For free knowledge - Wikimedia

I have always regarded Wikipedia as a convenient source of information and has benefitted from it many times. At moments, I was even critical and was interested in knowing how the information in Wikipedia measures up against more established information banks.

Now having read the donation appeal by Wikipedia's founder, Jimmy Wales, I realised I'm being a silkworm again. Need to change that.

..Reporters are always asking me why I’m doing this, why Wikipedians do this? I think you know why.

I can’t speak for everyone, but I can speak for myself. I’m doing this for the child in Africa who is going to use free textbooks and reference works produced by our community and find a solution to the crushing poverty that surrounds him. But for this child, a website on the Internet is not enough; we need to find ways to get our work to people in a form they can actually use.

And I’m doing this for my own daughter, who I hope will grow up in a world where culture is free, not proprietary, where control of knowledge is in the hands of people everywhere, with basic works they can adopt, modify, and share freely without asking permission from anyone.

We’re already taking back the Internet. With your help, we can take back the world.

Please consider a generous donation to the Wikimedia Foundation.

Wikimedia Foundation Personal Appeal by Jimmy Wales

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home