Friday, August 12, 2005

Choosing my battles

I had the priviledge of knowing Prof Peter Ng when I was at the age of 15, during Sec 3. He was a biology teacher then, in the midst of completing his PhD I think. In a typical day, he casually strolls into the classroom not holding any books at all and just deliver the most amazing stories on diversity and ecology. I remember being very impressed by the latin names he just casually throws out as if he's ordering a cup of coffee and knowing that humans are known as Homo sapiens, the gorilla is known as Gorilla gorilla, the domestic dog Canis familiaris.

15 years later and I am still using these same examples to my class when I introduce diversity.

My first brush with conservation came also from him. After the June holidays, Prof Ng came back from Pulau Tioman (which is now one of my favorite places) and brought to class a buffulo leech. Of course everyone were highly impressed and fascinated by this immense leech attached to the side of the plastic vial.

"Be careful" he intoned, "The fella has not been fed for weeks". Till now the image of the leech moving in the vial is still very vivid.

And he brought us, the entire class of Secondary 3 kids, to Lim Chu Kang mangroves. Armed with a few nets and the Singapore Science Center Guide to Seashore Life. We basically had a great time trudging in the mud and trying to catch mudskippers and crabs. I think this is when I got hooked for life.

15 years later and I am still doing the same thing at Sungei Buloh. Albeit now doing more plant stuff.

Thank you Prof Ng, for preparing me for my battles.

An excerpt of his interview with Chang Ai Lien at Inside Track

...the most important battles aren't fought, they're negotiated. Direct confrontation with the powers-that-be is silly.

A few years ago, some nature-lovers were arguing that Marina South should be preserved as a wetlands area. Most of us scientists refused to join in. It didn't hold water since you don't conserve an area just because a few ducks happen to be floating around the cattail reeds. If somebody wanted to build a condominium on Bukit Timah Hill, we'd fight.

Knowing what I do of human nature, I tend to be very cynical. I think conservation faces an uphill battle of enormous magnitude.

The other side is: I may fail, but I'm not giving up without a fight.

The 'three laws' of thermodynamics can also be applied to life: you can't win, you can't break even, you can't get out of the game. Which means that you're left with only one option - you lose. But you can manage your losses. It's all about how big you lose and how long you stave off defeat.

1 Comments:

Blogger Angeline said...

Hey, you beat me to blogging abt Prof!
But yours is a nicer story ah... =)

7:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home